- This event has passed.
Portrait Drawing from Life with Rawlin
August 6 @ 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Instructor: Rawlin Hodge
Learn to draw the human head from any angle or in any lighting from sitting in front of a live model. Using the Loomis method to construct heads you can make drawing from imagination easier or even help your drawings from photographs have more structure. Keeping you free of being a slave to your reference.
Over the course of two weeks you will learn how to draw the entire head and break down proportions in a systematic manner, draw the features of the head (eyes, ears, mouth, nose) by breaking down their biggest shapes into their smallest, learning about the muscles in the neck and face that are active when the head is turning or looking in a different angle, getting you to draw faster and with purpose, and learning to observe and measure what is in front of you to create an accurate rendering of light and form. Some or all of these concepts can be applied to drawing anything from life; not just heads.
Training your eye to be able to recreate what is in front of a live model of you is a fantastic way to improve you draftsmanship abilities and train your eye to be in tune with your hands. Finding models is sometimes difficult; however some days I may be your model or we will alternate members of the class to sit for quick drawings.
Lesson Plan: Meets twice a week, Two weeks. 4pm-7pm
- Tuesday, August 6: Introduction to Loomis method and breaking down the head. Long drawing of planes of the head from a cast bust.
- Thursday, August 8: Overview of all the features and their form (hopefully have time for some 5 minute warm-ups) Four 20 minute drawings of model.
- Tuesday, August 13: Warm up drawings from the model (2-5 mins), two 20 min drawings, and end with an hour long (breaks for model) drawing.
- Thursday, August 15: 30 mins of warm up with the model (2-10 mins), Long drawing of model with breaks. 2 and a half hours.
- Small pad of Newsprint
- Vine charcoal
- Chamis (soft rag)
- Kneaded Eraser
Supplies: (not provided)
- Assortment of Charcoal pencils: soft, medium, and hard
- Rubber eraser
Class Price: $60 per student.
Open to anyone 14 and up. Class size can be up to 15 students.
Use the form to register online or drop by Gallery 119 or call 765-778-0986 to register.